South Port SLSC Latest Newflash
Latest newsflashes for Club members and non-members. To include Members Only News, please register & login
Surf Sports High Performance Academy
This is an exciting time for all Surf Sports Athletes. SLSSA have recognised that to provide athletes with the best possible opportunity to perform well and be recognised at a National level, they need support and guidance.
SLSSA have partnered with Flinders University (FU), Flinders One Fitness and South Australian Aquatic and Leisure Centre (SAALC) to design and develop a program aimed at assisting surf sports athletes to be the best they can.
The academy has been designed to achieve several primary objectives, including:
- Recognise the past performances of athletes and provide them with ongoing assistance and support
- Encourage and motivate existing and aspiring HP athletes to aim for constant improvement
- To enhance the performances of SLSSA athletes at National competitions
- Increase the number of SA athletes winning medals at Australian Surf Life Saving Championships
- Increase the profile of Surf Sports athletes for personal, club and state benefit
- To complement the coaching athletes receive at club level
- To provide specialist training, education or services that may not be delivered at club level
- To provide athletes with access to current sporting education, technology and facilities
The academy will provide support to enhance not only the athlete’s daily training environment but also include components such as:
- Information and education on sports psychology, nutrition and hydration
- All aspects of training and competition recovery
- Access to support services to ensure athletes maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle
- Planning training, post training, post racing, warm-ups etc.
- Video analysis of performance
- Testing and measuring performance
This is just the beginning of an exciting journey for all our athletes and we wish them the best in their commitment to the “Academy” and continual personal development.
Acceptance has been based on past performance results, commitment to training and assessment through personal interview to understand individual needs and future goals.
In total 20 athletes have been selected in Tier 1, and 19 athletes in Tier 2.
A list of athletes can be seen in the following table.
Congratulations to the inaugural members of the Surf Life Saving SA Surf Sports High Performance Academy:
Tier One Athletes
Tier Two Athletes
The first gathering of all athletes and supporting partners will be held at Moana SLSC on Sunday October 18, 2015 from 1pm. The group will be addressed by SLSSA CEO Clare Harris and Ironman Champion Phil Clayton. They will then join Phil for a short training and mentoring session.
WATCH: ABC SA Local News article