Saturday Nipper Training
Our nipper sessions run from Early October to mid-March:
U6/7 2.00pm to 3.45pm
U8-14 2.00pm to 4.15pm
Please arrive for 1.30pm as parents will be required to sign in before training commences and kids are asked to organise their gear in the Age Group buckets.
What to bring to the beach on Saturdays
The following items are required each week on the beach:
- High-viz vest
- Long Sleeve Protective Top
- Wide-Brimmed Protective Hat
- Sun Block (please ensure applied to children before arrival on beach)
- Goggles (optional)
- Water in a Bottle (please no other drinks)
Age Group Managers will have tubs for water. Please have a bag for all other items.
If you child is competing in carnivals, they will require the South Port Competition Cap and Club compliant uniforms.
As well as the above, please also note SLSA Policy requires high visibility vest to be worn for ALL water sessions. Your child’s safety is paramount to us.
NO VEST = LONG REST
Times for training
Board training: Mon/Wed 5.15pm for a 5.30pm start.
Pool training: Tuesdays 7-8pm
Under 14’s are welcome to train with seniors on Mon/Wed/Fri 5pm and Sun morning at 10am
Purpose of Training
Details for Board Training, Swim Training, Carnivals and other activities will be communicated through your Age Group Managers and Junior Coach.
In line with Duty of Care, each child that attends the Nipper Group must have a parent/guardian present for the whole duration of any Surf Life Saving event or training. A parent/guardian can appoint a proxy of care in consultation with the Junior Coach or Age Group Manager; however this person must be a financial member of SPSLSC. This includes Saturday Nipper Training, Board Training, Pool Training at Noarlunga Pool, Carnivals and any other event.
Unfortunately, if a child does not have a parent/guardian on the beach then they will be asked to sit out of all activities.
National Extreme Weather Policy
Nippers run no matter what the weather and we will modify training programs to suit. On a superhot day we can spend more time in the water, on a wet and windy day we can work on resuscitation or first aid in the Clubrooms.
Sun Smart Policy
South Port and Surf Life Saving Australia strongly recommend sun protection during all SLSA activities. It is the responsibility of all SLSA members to us all protective equipment provided (hats, sunscreen, shade structures, sunglasses etc) and adopt sun safe practices (re-applying sunscreen, minimising time outdoors during peak UV times).
South Port provides shade structures at all activities for use by our Nippers. We would ask that parents/guardians supply their own structures and all children bring sun block. You will be asked to leave an area if our Nippers are being left in the sun.
Further details of the policy can be found on the https://sls.com.au website under Members/Public Download/Governance.
What is the Sports Vouchers program?
Sports Vouchers is a State Government initiative administered by the Office for Recreation and Sport (ORS). The program is an opportunity for primary school age children from Reception to Year 7 to receive a $50 discount from sports club/membership fees. All children in South Australia will receive a letter from the Premier at school (or home if home-schooled) informing them of Sports Vouchers and how it works. Clubs and providers can then offer a $50 discount on joining fees and recoup that money directly from the Office for Recreation and Sport. The purpose is to increase the numbers of children playing organised sport and to reduce the costs for parents.
What can the $50 be used for?
The $50 can be used towards membership fees which provide access to a minimum 10 week sports program. The discount cannot be used for equipment purchase or a one-off ‘come and try’ type event.
When will the program start?
The letters will be sent to schools during weeks 2-4 of Term 1 2015. Clubs and providers can pre-register to be part of the program from 30 November 2014. Claims can be made until 31 December 2015.
South Port SLSC is registered to be part of this fantastic initiative.
To read more about the program please visit: www.sportsvouchers.sa.gov.au
We are incredibly lucky to have a Junior Panel whose sole purpose is to ensure that our Junior Members learn to love the beach as much as we do and understand the importance of Surf Lifesaving.
The organisational structure can be found HERE
- Junior Chairperson – ensure key dates for season are met; prepare minutes from Junior Panel meetings; present financial budgets for Juniors; communicate between Junior Panel and Board of Management (BOM).
- Junior Administrator – work with AGMs and assistance to collate information and distribute programs and results; responsible for nominations and payments for competition events; manages events systems for junior activities; oversee State nominations in consultation with selection panel; monitor proficiencies, surf-ed and patrol hours of juniors; collate and record data for junior awards; be aware of SLSSA Youth Development Panel activities; ensure calendar dates are set; organise yearbook and trophies for presentation day; communicate with members regarding carnivals and training times.
- Junior Registrar – collation of all documentation related to nipper registrations; ensure all junior members are paid and registered on Surf Guard; ensure new members are insured; monitor police clearances for any person involved in Junior Club activities.
- Junior Coach – maintain and improve kids’ skills, techniques and fitness; set junior training times; responsible for Age Group Managers and assistants; provide clear direction to coaches and coordinators on junior activities and programs; provide parents and nippers with relevant information at Saturday training; assess surf conditions and WHS in consultation with patrol captains.
- Junior Social and Promotion Officers – develop calendar of specific events for juniors and work with Club Promotions Officer for Club activities; arrange junior advertising/publication; organising and coordinating fundraising activities; assist with Club Sponsorship.
Full Job Descriptions are available in Members Only area HERE
Remember effective communication is key
- Website is our most used resource.
- Join our FaceBook Page (South Port SLSC),
- Register with us on TeamApp
- Check the Club notice board for any updates/information and
- Make sure you arrive early on Saturdays to hear any general updates.
If you have any enquiries please direct them to one of the Panel, who will only be too happy to be of assistance.